The BayCon Writers' Workshop is an exciting opportunity for aspiring authors to receive professional critique of their story structure, plot, character development, and style. It's also an excellent introduction to the writing culture, both here in the Bay Area and beyond.
Submissions must be:
- Speculative Fiction, including (but not limited to) science fiction, fantasy, or horror.
- No more than 7500 words in length.
- The first 7500 words, including within those 7500 words a brief outline or synopsis, if part of a longer work such as a novel.
- Formatted using professional manuscript submissions standards. See http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html for guidelines.
- Submitted in PDF or RTF format. Your word processor can almost certainly save to one
or the other.
- Among the first twelve received at the submissions email address, firstname.lastname@example.org, by no later than midnight, April 15th, 2013.
We know we can handle at least twelve; if we get more, we will need to ask for extra space and time, and that may not be possible.
Authors must be:
- At least 18 years of age.
- Able to follow the moderator's instructions and accept critique in a mature manner.
- Physically present at their workshop section on time.
- Willing to read and deliver critique for the other works in their section.
- Members of BayCon 2013. There is no extra charge for the workshop in addition to
membership; please send your member number with your submission. If you don't know
what it is, or need to submit payment along with your manuscript, we will be happy to
help. If you have any other questions or concerns–timing, accessibility, or special requests–please don't hesitate to contact us.
2013 BayCon Writers' Workshop
Wanda Kurtcu and Kent Brewster, perpetrators